1. The validity of existing profiles is extended for 6 months
As of June 26, 2019, the validity of all profiles registered with the Expression of Interest Bank will be extended for 6 months. Those who registered the questionnaire back in September 2018 now will have the chance to receive an invitation and submit an application after the start of the draw, which will take place soon.
The Quebec expression of interest system was launched in September 2018, but not a single invitation has been sent so far. This is due to the fact that the Coalition For Quebec’s Future (Coalition Avenir Québec), the province’s ruling party, has tried to push the Bill 9 in order to eliminate the backlog in processing applications within the old system for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program. The law was adopted earlier this June.
2. Invited candidates will have 60 days to apply
Candidates who have received an invitation to apply will be able to submit a full application within 60 days — not 90, as was previously the case. It means that candidates must prepare all required documents in advance and keep an ear to the ground to be able to apply as soon as they receive an invitation.
3. Profiles of candidates who declined invitations will remain in the bank
Profiles of candidates who receive an invitation to apply and decline this invitation will remain in the Quebec Expression of Interest Bank for the duration of their validity.
How does the expression of interest work in Quebec?
- Candidates send an online expression of interest to the Quebec Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion (Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec, MIDI).
- Profiles get into a pool of expression of interest, where they are ranked against each other and are valid for 12 months.
- Profiles are then classified into two categories: one for candidates who live in Quebec or have a job offer and meet certain criteria, and the other for candidates who live outside Quebec and also meet certain criteria.
- Candidates with highest rankings will receive an invitation to apply (ITA) to get a Quebec certificate of selection (Certificat de Sélection du Québec, CSQ) under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program.
- Quebec will hold periodic draws inviting candidates to apply for a CSQ.
- Candidates who have received an invitation may submit a full application within 60 days.
- Approved candidates who have received a nomination may apply for permanent residence in Canada.