Skilled workers with a bachelor’s degree or higher can get permanent residency in Canada through the Human Capital Priorities Stream of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program.
The Human Capital Priorities Stream is part of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP). Candidates are selected through the Express Entry system.
This stream has been created for skilled workers who want to live and work permanently in Ontario. The Human Capital Priorities Stream allows the province of Ontario to nominate individuals who have the required education, work experience, and a certain level of language proficiency, and also help immigrants successfully integrate into the labour market and the society of Ontario.
To be able to immigrate through this stream, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Have an active Express Entry profile and receive a Notification of Interest from OINP representatives
- Meet the requirements of one of the federal immigration programs — Federal Skilled Worker Program or Canadian Experience Class
- Have a minimum of 1 year of full-time work experience in the last 5 years in the applicant’s primary occupation in NOC levels 0, A or B (for those who have chosen the Federal Skilled Worker Program) or in the last 3 years in Canada (for those who have chosen the Canadian Experience Class)
- Hold a Canadian bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree or its equivalent in another country. Those who completed their studies outside of Canada, need to get an Educational Credential Assessment report
- Have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of 7 or higher for English or French in all four language abilities (reading, speaking, listening, writing) and provide language test results (TEF or TCF for French and IELTS or CELPIP for English)
- Show ties to Ontario (working, having a job offer, studying, volunteering, renting or owning property, visiting the province, having colleagues, relatives or friends in Ontario)
- Be able to support themselves and dependent family members (have savings, get salary in Ontario or have a job offer in Ontario)
- Score at least 67 points in the assessment table (education, language abilities, age, work experience in Canada, and other factors) — for those who have chosen the Federal Skilled Worker Program
Find out about other ОINP streams in the article “Immigration to Ontario“.