The Quebec Experience Program (Programme de l’expérience québécoise, PEQ) offers permanent residency in Quebec to international graduates of one of the provincial universities and to temporary workers with work experience in Quebec.
The Quebec Experience Program includes two categories:
- PEQ Quebec Graduate (Diplômé du Québec) — for people who have graduated from a university in Quebec and speak French at a level above average
- PEQ Skilled Temporary Foreign Worker (Travailleur étranger temporaire) — for skilled workers with at least 1 year of work experience in Quebec in the past 2 years and the ability to speak French at a level above average
To be able to apply under the PEQ program, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Intend to live and work in Quebec
- Have the proficiency in oral French at a level above average and provide one of the following documents:
— A final transcript proving that the applicant has completed an academic program in Quebec entirely in French
— A final transcript proving that the applicant has completed at least 3 years of full-time secondary or post-secondary study entirely in French
— A final transcript proving that the applicant has completed an advanced intermediate level French course taken at a recognized educational institution of Quebec
— A license to practise in Quebec, which involves passing an examination in French
— Language test results (TEFAQ, TCF, TCF-Québec, TEF or TEF Canada) or diplomas (DELF or DALF). The minimum threshold from which the points are awarded is 7 of the Échelle québécoise des niveaux de compétence. This corresponds to the Level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- Show enough money to support themselves and dependent family members during the first 3 months in Quebec
- Pay the processing fees: C$798 for the main applicant and C$171 for a spouse, partner or any additional dependent child
Effective January 1, 2020, candidates must also successfully pass a test on democratic values based on the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.
Additional requirements for candidates applying under the PEQ Quebec Graduate Category:
- Have graduated from a post-secondary institution in Quebec and obtained a diploma (Diplôme d’études collégiales techniques (DEC) or Diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP)) or a degree (bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate)
- Have lived in Quebec at least half the time while studying
- Apply for participation in the PEQ Quebec Graduate Category within 36 months after graduation in Quebec
Effective November 1, 2019, the following types of Quebec educational credentials will be accepted under the PEQ Quebec Graduate Stream:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree
- Doctorate (Ph.D.)
- Diploma of College Studies — Technical
- Vocational Diploma, with or without attestation of vocational specialization, obtained consecutively, attesting to a minimum of 900 hours of study
- Attestation of Vocational Specialization attesting to a minimum of 900 hours of training
- Attestation of College Studies attesting to a minimum of 900 hours of study
The important change is that these degrees, attestations, and diplomas should include areas of training that respond to the Quebec labour market.
Candidates must also complete a minimum of 900 hours of full-time study in Quebec or, if their certificate or diploma attests to more than 1,800 hours of study, they must have lived in Quebec for at least half the duration of their study program.
If the study program is 900 to 1,800 hours, candidates must have a 6-month full-time work experience in Quebec, acquired after completing their study program in their area of training.
Additional requirements for candidates applying under the PEQ Skilled Temporary Foreign Worker Category:
- Have worked in Quebec as a temporary worker or participant of a youth exchange program (Working Holiday, Young Professionals, International Co-op Internship) in a paid position, full-time (30 hours per week), for at least 12–18 months in the last 2 years
- Work in a paid position, full-time, in Quebec at the time of application
In addition, effective January 1, 2020, the official spouse or common-law partner included in the application must also demonstrate proficiency in French (level 7 or 8 according to the Echelle québécoise des niveaux de compétences en français des personnes immigrantes adultes).
Effective November 1, 2019, the eligible Temporary Foreign Worker candidates will include only workers in occupations that are in demand in the Quebec labour market:
- All candidates must have an occupation included in the official list of occupations in demand
- For occupation levels 0, A and B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC): it is required to have work experience in this profession for at least 12 months in the past 24 months before submitting an application
- For occupations of NOC levels C and D: it is required to have work experience in this profession for at least 18 months in the last 24 months before submitting an application
- For regulated professions: it is required to meet NOC job requirements and the specific conditions of a job offer
Candidates’ occupations should not belong to the following areas:
- Payday loans
- Cashing checks
- Pawnshop brokerage
- Producing, distributing and sale of pornographic products or services
- Work in a company that is controlled by the candidate
Learn about other Quebec immigration programs in the article “Quebec Immigration”.