This stream of the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) has been created for those who have a close connection to the province: work, completed education in one of the Manitoba universities or colleges, a relative or friend living in the province. Also, those who have received an invitation from the MPNP can also apply under the Skilled Workers Overseas stream.
Base Requirements for All Categories
To be able to apply under the Skilled Workers Overseas stream, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Score at least 60 points of the total 100 points in MPNP Self-assessment Worksheet based on five factors (work experience, education, languages proficiency, age, and adaptability)
- Demonstrate a connection to the province of Manitoba (a job or education, relatives, friends or an Invitation to Apply)
- Provide a Settlement Plan with the intention and plan to live, work, and establish family life in Manitoba as a permanent resident
There are also additional requirements depending on the type of connection to the province.
Requirements for Those Who Have Work or Education Experience in Manitoba
Those who have worked in the province in the past need to show that they have worked full-time for at least 6 months for a Manitoba employer, provide a letter of reference signed by the employer and a copy of a work permit proving that the applicant has worked in Manitoba.
Those who have studied in Manitoba in the past need to have a degree, diploma, or certificate issued by a public or authorized private college or university in Manitoba (language courses are not authorized).
Requirements for Those Who Have Friends or Relatives in Manitoba
Those who have a relative or friend who lives in Manitoba and is ready to become a supporter can immigrate to Manitoba.
Those friends or relatives must:
- Provide documents proving they have been living in the province continuously for at least 1 year
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Demonstrate close ties to the applicant and to Manitoba
- Provide documents proving familial relationship (for close relatives)
The following categories are considered close relatives:
- Sister or brother
- Niece or nephew
- Aunt or uncle
- First cousin
- Mother or father
- Grandmother or grandfather
Requirements for Those Who Wish to Get an Invitation to Apply
Those who received an Invitation to Apply directly from the MPNP representatives can also immigrate through this stream.
This invitation can be received after an interview with the program officer during one of the recruitment missions organized by MPNP representatives and provincial employers, or during an exploratory visit to Manitoba organized by the program representatives to show communities of the province and employment opportunities.
Below are requirements for those who wish to participate in a recruitment mission or make an exploratory visit to Manitoba:
- Be between the ages of 21 to 45
- Not to have a stronger connection to another province or territory
- Demonstrate the employability and adaptability
- Have completed at least a one-year, post-secondary education or training program and provide a diploma, degree or certificate
- Have worked at least 2 years full-time in the past 5 years and demonstrate the ability to find a job in Manitoba in that occupation (including plans to get a licence or certification, if it is required)
- Demonstrate English or French language proficiency at Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 5 in each of the four competencies: listening, speaking, reading, and writing
Additional requirements apply to truck drivers.
Find out about other MPNP streams in the article “Immigration to Manitoba“.