Pathways to Permanent Residence

After having worked in Canada for 1 year under a temporary worker program, you can apply for permanent residence under one of the Express Entry federal programs or under one of many provincial immigration programs.

Highly skilled specialists (e. g. software developers or engineers) usually apply under the Federal Skilled Workers Program. Labour workers (such as plumbers, welders, drivers) often choose the Federal Skilled Trades program. And the Canadian Experience Class Program is popular among those who graduated from Canadian colleges and universities. These programs require different NOC levels and language skills.

Additionally, all Canadian provinces and territories (except Quebec and Nunavut) offer so-called provincial nominee programs. Each one of them has its own requirements.

There is also the Atlantic Immigration Pilot program created specifically for those who wish to work and live in the Atlantic provinces of Canada (New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island).

Canadian immigration programs’ main requirements

Work experience Language skills Other requirements
Canadian Experience Class At least 1 year of work experience in NOC 0, A or B* CLB 5 or 7** Canadian education or ECA report
Federal Skilled Worker Program At least 1 year of work experience in NOC 0, A or B CLB 7 Canadian education or ECA report. Proof of funds of C$12.7K (+C$3–4K for family members). The program does not include Quebec
Federal Skilled Trades At least 2 years of work experience within the last 5 years in NOC B CLB 4 or 5 Canadian education or ECA report. An offer of full-time employment for at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification or proof of funds of C$12.7K (+C$3–4K for family members). The program does not include Quebec
Provincial Nominee Program NOC 0, A, B, C or D — depending on the province Strong English or French skills Other requirements depend on the province
Atlantic Immigration Pilot A job offer for an employer in Atlantic Canada that must be NOC skill level 0, A, B, or C and last at least 1 year CLB 4 Graduation from a publicly funded post-secondary institution in Atlantic Canada. The program must have been at least 2 years

You can use an online tool to find out what immigration programs you can apply for.

Those applying for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Workers Program and the Federal Skilled Trades program need to show proof of funds of C$12.7K (plus C$3–4K for every family member). Also, all immigrants bear expenses such as costs of a language test, ECA report, medical exam, and translations of documents, as well as immigration visa fees and transportation expenses. Be ready to spend around C$3K for yourself, the same amount for your spouse and an additional C$1K for each of your children.

Immigration-related expenses (CAD)

For an adult For a child
Language test 309
Educational Credential Assessment 115–220
Translation of documents 130 40
Immigration visa and fees 1,540 150
Medical exam 210 170
Ticket to Canada 700 – 1,000 600–900
Total minimum ≈ 3,000 ≈ 1,000