If you have studied at a university in Ontario and obtained a doctorate degree, you can immigrate to Canada through the PhD Graduate Stream of Ontario provincial program.
The PhD Graduate Stream of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) provides international doctorate graduates with the opportunity to live and work in the province. Applicants are not required to have a job offer.
To be able to immigrate through this stream, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a doctorate degree from a university in Ontario. The degree should result from at least two academic years of full-time study
- Have lived in Ontario for at least 12 months in the last 24 months prior to the application date and submit documents showing the full name and address in Ontario (monthly credit card statements, phone bills, insurance, water or electricity bills, a rental contract, etc.) Candidates who currently live in Canada outside of Ontario cannot apply
- Be able to support themselves and dependent family members (have savings, get salary in Ontario or have a job offer in Ontario)
- Show ties to Ontario (working, having a job offer, studying, volunteering, renting or owning property, visiting the province, having colleagues, relatives or friends in Ontario)
- Pay the C$1,500 processing fee
Applicants must apply for participation in this OINP stream within two years of obtaining their doctorate degree.
Find out about other ОINP streams in the article “Immigration to Ontario“.