People who are willing to invest a minimum of C$150,000 in a business in the Northwest Territories can immigrate to Canada through the territorial program’s stream for entrepreneurs.
The Business Stream of the Northwest Territories Nominee Program (NTNP) offers permanent residence in Canada to entrepreneurs who are willing to invest in a new or existing business that brings economic benefits to the region.
To apply for participation under this stream, the applicant needs to meet the following requirements:
- Invest a minimum of C$300,000 in a business situated in Yellowknife or C$150,000 in other locations of the Northwest Territories
- Have at least C$500,000 of net worth (for those who are planning to do business in Yellowknife) or C$250,000 (for those who are planning to do business in other locations)
- Be ready to provide a deposit of C$75,000 to the Department of Industry, Tourism, and Investment. The deposit will be returned after the applicant meets the requirements for business organization
- Provide a business plan, according to which the applicant’s share of ownership is no less than 33.33% (unless the investment amount is higher than C$1 million)
- Have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of 4 or higher for English or French in all four language abilities (reading, speaking, listening, writing). The eligible tests include IELTS and CELPIP for English and TEF for French
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the Northwest Territories and its economy
- Be ready to make at least one business trip to the Northwest Territories to gain knowledge about the territory’s business environment
- Have experience and education to implement the business plan
Find out about other NTNP streams in the article “Immigration to the Northwest Territories“.