The Self-Employed Farmer Stream allows Alberta to recruit qualified business investors from around the world who have the intent and ability to start or purchase a farming business in rural Alberta.
Applicants should be ready to invest a minimum of C$500,000 in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
Also, applicants should provide the following documents:
- A completed application form (AINP 004) and other forms of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
- Passports of the applicant and his family members
- Financial documentation of an existing farm business
- Documentation of education, training and work experience
- A business plan for the farming business in Alberta
- Proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance the proposed farming business
- Documents that show a minimum of C$500,000 or confirmation of the ability to access the funds from other sources
Categories and Occupations of Applicants
The following categories cannot apply under Self-Employed Farmer Stream:
- Refugee claimants
- Individuals who have received a removal order (those who have been asked to leave Canada)
- Temporary residents living or working in a Canadian province or territory other than Alberta
- Live-in caregivers currently living in Canada
- International students currently studying in Canada
Find out about other AINP streams in the article “Immigration to Alberta”.