Those who have graduated from Canadian post-secondary institutions can immigrate through a category of the British Columbia Immigrant Nominee Program (BCINP) for international graduates.
The great advantage of this BCINP category is that the applicant does not need to have work experience to submit the application.
To qualify for the Skills Immigration — International Graduate category, the applicant needs to meet the following requirements:
- Have completed a degree, diploma or certificate from an eligible post-secondary institution in Canada in the past 3 years. Diplomas and certificates from private institutions are not eligible. The program must have been at least 8 months
- Receive a full-time, indeterminate job offer from an employer in British Columbia. The job must be in a National Occupational Classification (NOC) skilled occupation (levels 0, A or B)
- Qualify to work in the occupation in British Columbia
- Have been offered a wage no lower than wage rates for similar occupations in British Columbia
- Show the ability to support oneself and dependent family members
- For those working in an occupation classified under NOC Skill Level B: demonstrate English or French language proficiency at Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 4 in each of the four competencies: listening, speaking, reading, and writing
Find out about other BCINP streams in the article “Immigration to British Columbia”.